Saturday 28 March 2020

The week that was 20200328, and what a week it was!

PROUDEST | MOST GRATEFUL MOMENT


Proud and grateful for some lovely media coverage that we received this week. We are heeding President Ramaphosa's call for lock down. With that said, we've been working remotely for the last eleven years, so we will remain fully operational and continue to work virtually. The team wrote some great articles this week on how to work from a virtual office,we're more than happy to share our experience and tips; what millenials can teach us about communication as well as tips on crisis communication. 


My team are awesome! I am so grateful for the delicious bottle of wine they gave me for my birthday. While I was running earlier in the week, I thought to myself that I don't think that I'm stocked up sufficiently on wine for the lock down. Just as I finished the run, I received this wonderful gift! 


On Thursday afternoon, Lauren, Thérèse and I went for a last run before the 21 day lock down. This is one of my favourite back road spots in Hout Bay. So grateful for all the beauty that surrounds us. 


My St Joseph lilies are starting to open up.  What a magical smell! Wish I could share it with you. So impressed and grateful that they have lasted this long!

BIGGEST LESSON THIS WEEK / REMINDER

I don't think anyone really knows how to deal with this whole lock down situation. Emotionally I think it's rather a turbulent ride for everyone as we make sense of it. This Harvard Business Review article explains it very well: That Discomfort You're Feeling is Grief.

I particularly like: emotions need motion. I think that too often we try to suppress how we feel. It's important to deal with feelings. 

I also quite liked the line: This is a time to overprotect but not overreact.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"This too shall pass"
~Persial adage~

THIS WEEK I FINISHED READING...

As a team we've started a book club, during the weekly team meeting we discuss it. This month the book was:

It's a book highly recommended by Jim Rohn. It's a fairly quick read once you get used to the writing style. Absolutely love the ideas shared and definitely has me thinking about financial planning a bit differently. 

WHAT MADE ME GIGGLE

Not only did Hout Bay stockpile on food... when I wanted to buy potting soil on Thursday afternoon, I called Earthworx to double check whether they were still open. They said that they didn't have any potting soil or compost left, they had received 300 bags in the morning and everything had already been sold out! There's going to be some lovely gardens after this 21 day period.

***
Seen at the bottom of an email I received:

Stay healthy, stage safe, stay home

****
[Taken from Chris Moerdyk's page]

I find domestic chores very therapeutic during this lock down period. I do have a few observations:

1. Emptying the dishwasher can be fun but trying to get dinner plates into the cupboard buy chucking them like frisbees inevitably ends in tears

2. Buy a cordless vacuum cleaner to avoid getting tangle in electric cords and breaking legs

3. Clean an oven can be tedious if you don't use a pressure washer

4. Cleaning an oven with a pleasure washer is fine, just don’t cook anything for a week to let the electrics dry out

5. Using a floor polisher does not work on carpets.

6. Before polishing the family silver sell them. And the brass stuff too.

7. Using a feather duster can be fun if you imagine its a sword and you are a King’s musketeer.

8. Fine china and glassware broken by over-exuberant musketeering cannot be fixed with Prestik.

9. One actually has to get out of bed before making it
***


***
A final note: Thank everyone at the front line fighting this virus and thank you to President Ramaphosa and leadership teams steering our country.

Stay healthy, fit and safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment