Saturday 25 August 2018

The week that was 20180825

PROUDEST | MOST GRATEFUL MOMENT


For the first time in months I reconnected with my surfboard. It was an absolutely glorious morning. There was even a seal enjoying the waves with us, and small fish popping about. There really isn't anything that clears your head or is as exhilarating as finding that perfect wave;  (or anything that clears your sinuses if you don't!). I forgot what a full body work out it is! 



I am very grateful to Daniel Newman for the opportunity to chat to him about Reputation Matters and reputation management for his CEOWise.TV series. We recorded it in the Botanical Gardens in Pretoria.

MY BIGGEST LESSON THIS WEEK

One of the recurring themes of my conversations this week has been about time management. 

I've learnt to embrace routine. 

My weekdays do start quite early, but I don't start working immediately. When I get up, I set 30 minutes aside for quiet time and meditation; then 30 minutes of reading, and 30 minutes of exercise (usually if it is light enough, I take Bella for a quick walk around the block). I find this helps me to structure my day and be in the right frame of mind to tackle things. 

When I am in front of my computer, I steer away from the temptation to dive into my Inbox (otherwise, my day pretty much revolves around emails and I don't get to doing anything else). I first tackle something more strategic or pressing, then I allow specific times during the day to check emails. I have also found that as much as we put pressure on ourselves to multitask, focussing is key. First, focus and finish one activity at a time; switch off your phone and close your emails. Dedicate your attention to that specific piece of work. Finish it before you move onto the next 'to do' item. 

Getting sidetracked is fatal to productivity. Usually, it takes a lot longer to get back into the rhythm of said activity, than if I had just persevered another five minutes. 

WHAT MADE ME GIGGLE THIS WEEK


PODCAST I'M LISTENING TO 




How Artificial Intelligence (AI) can save our humanity by Kai-Fu Lee was fairly interesting, and links back to the recurring theme of the importance of having balance. [https://player.fm/1sbTdW]

MY FAVOURITE QUOTE THIS WEEK 



ONE LAST THING 



Remember, YOU are AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment