Saturday 23 June 2018

The week that was 20180623

MY PROUDEST | MOST GRATEFUL MOMENT

Over the past 13 years I have learnt many business lessons and share them with everyone and anyone that has just started a business (or in fact anyone willing to listen); so that they can learn from my mistakes and not burn their fingers as many times as I have. My very first lesson (I have seven), is to keep up with SARS [here's one of my earlier blogs on the topic]. Whenever I get my compliance profile from my accountant [still the amazing Business Accounting Network]. I still do (several) air punches, because SARS really can make or break a business. I now have the habit that as soon as a client pays, I automatically save the vat portion of the invoice in a separate call account, taking all temptation away of using it for non-SARS related items. So this week's most grateful moment is definitely to be tax compliant.

[Incidentally, the other six lessons: avoid partnerships, avoid working with family and friends, keep an audit trail, work on the business and not in the business, don't give your work away for free, and know what your vision is in eight words or less].

MY BIGGEST LESSON THIS WEEK


Earlier this week, I was reminded of a conversation I had with my very good friend, Bronwyn Kilroe (Cape Town's Laughter Coach). Normally, our conversations are punctuated with gasps for air as we laugh and giggle like naughty school children. We do also have the most amazing conversations philosophising about life.  I was sound boarding with her about whether to pursue something that had crossed my path but had quite a few reservations about whether I should go for it.  Her very sage advice was that if you don't have that "YES! I want to go for this!" in your heart, then don't go for it. If it is something that you are meant to pursue, it will cross your path again at a later stage.

There have been a number of commitments on my plate that I have really not been feeling lately.

Earlier this week, I heard Bronwyn's advice echo in my mind and decided to send off resignation emails. It wasn't easy, because I hate feeling that I am letting people down. What I did realise as a weight lifted from my shoulders, is that I am letting myself down by not focussing on my "hell yes" pursuits; one being my MAD goals!

We really do need to listen to our inner voices more often, and pursue those YES! moments.

Some other very random lesson that I learnt this week:

Did you know that we speak an average of 125 to 150 words a minute? [via Visualthesaurus

WHAT MADE ME GIGGLE
Whenever I get a chance I take Bella our Weimaraner, for a walk on the beach, her pronking like a Springbok (bokspring) always makes me laugh!
The other laugh out loud moment was teeing off with the team. Cheers for Peers took us to the River Club yesterday; I absolutely love spending time with the team and laughing together!

MY FAVOURITE QUOTE THIS WEEK

I came across two quotes this week that I really like:

If you don't love it, need it, or use it... It's clutter" ~ Kerri L. Richardson 

Do not save what is left after spending, but spend what is left after saving. ~ Warren Buffet

SOMETHING I FOUND PARTICULARLY CLEVER

Yesterday I launched a new section to my blog, Awesome AfriCAN; our continent has so many incredible people and stories that need to be shared.  I found Laetitia Ky's hair sculptures brilliant!


[If you have an awesome AfriCAN story to share, please send it through to me: africa@reputationmatters.co.za]


ONE LAST THING

This week Lyfe and I made tremendous progress on our MAD dream. Will share more information on the computer center and computer skills classes soon. This is something that Lyfe shared with me, which made me realise that 'hell YES!" we are working on something absolutely amazing:

"Do not take your dreams to the graveyard"

The graveyard is the richest place on earth, because it is here that you will find all the hopes and dreams that were never fulfilled, the books that were never written, the songs that were never sung, the inventions that were never shared, the cures that were never discovered, all because someone was too afraid to take that first step, keep with the problem, or determined to carry out their dream.








No comments:

Post a Comment