Saturday 16 June 2018

The week that was 20180616

MY PROUDEST | MOST GRATEFUL MOMENT

I am so grateful to be part of Margaret Hirsch's Women of Worth (WOW) network. This is a monthly get together where we break bread and share each other's successes and support each other. There is this amazing energy that is shared, and something to learn every single time. I have met the most amazing, dynamic businesswomen and friends through WOW. 

Warren Buffet's quote really captures WOW well:

MY BIGGEST LESSON THIS WEEK

It is so important to get people's name right. The other day during a business lunch, I sat next to a gentleman (I use the term loosely), here's the conversation:

Regine: Hi, my name is Regine
"Gentleman": Oh, you mean "Régine" (pronouncing it with a French accent) 
Regine: Uhm, no, Regine (emphasising the "g")
"Gentleman": Yes, but the French pronounce it Régine
Regine: Yes, they do, but mine is pronounced "Regien"; it is my Grandmother's name
"Gentleman": waves hand at me and says, "ag don't worry about it," and turns his back to me.

I shared this story with my team as part of our weekly lessons learnt and linking it to our core values during a team meeting. One of my colleagues then shared the following with me, which I absolutely love:
WHAT MADE ME GIGGLE 
We all sometimes have days like this...


MY FAVOURITE QUOTE


“To believe your own thoughts, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men ~ that is genius.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


SOMETHING I FOUND PARTICULARLY CLEVER

 I love these two poems by Hafiz shared by Tim Ferris:

With That Moon Language
Admit something: Everyone you see, you say to
them, “Love me.”

Of course you do not do this out loud, otherwise
someone would call the cops.

Still, though, think about this, this great pull in us
to connect.

Why not become the one who lives with a full
moon in each eye that is always saying,

with that sweet moon language, what every other
eye in this world is dying to hear?
Two Giant Fat People
God and I have become like two giant
fat people living in a tiny boat.

We keep bumping into each other and
laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment