Thursday 21 November 2019

Awesome AfriCAN Businesswomen: Margaret Hirsch

Over the next couple of weeks I am going to be profiling dynamic business people who inspire me.

First up is Margaret Hirsch, Founder and Chief Operating Officer of  Hirsch's. Not only is she a successful, dynamic and inspiring businesswomen and mentor, she is also an incredibly special friend. We've traveled together to Côte d'Ivoire, a place I would never have dreamt of visiting if it had not been for Margaret nudging me and pushing me out of my comfort zone! 

From a consistency point of view, I've asked everyone the same questions. 

Here's Margaret's wisdom...

1. Describe in eight words what it is that you do

Motivate others to be the best they can be.


Margaret inspiring her teams across the country

Entrepreneurs across the country can attest to the phenomenal advice that Margaret shares

2. What is the biggest myth that you would like to bust about your industry
People think that because my shops are big and well stocked that we are expensive. 
Our prices are cheaper than they can get anywhere else and our service is exceptional too!

3. If you could go back in time, what is your biggest business lesson that you would share with yourself on day one of starting your business?
Help others along the way; in the beginning you are so focused on yourself, you forget to help others.

As soon as you start helping others, the blessing are heaped on you.

4. What excites you most about Africa?
I absolutely LOVE Africa, the people, the beat, the pulse, the wealth, the abundance; its like nowhere else on earth!



5. What is the biggest lesson about money that you want to share with business owners?

This is actually not a question that I had specifically asked Margaret. But as I was writing this, I realised that one of the most important pieces of advice that I've received about money and payments as an entrepreneur came from Margaret. And, as business owners money management is fundamental to the success of a business. 

Her advice: Make sure that you get paid before delivering the product or service; you aren't going to go to your local grocery shop and only pay for the food after you've eaten it. Why bill for your offering any differently?

That has definitely stuck with me!


6. What is your favourite quote

You can live anywhere but you can  only be truly happy in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment