Friday 3 January 2014

Holiday happiness

Holidays are great! Something which was definitely neglected by me last year. It has been wonderful to recharge the batteries - so much so that I have already diarised considerably more breaks for this year! 

My top six favourite holiday activities - 

1. Spending quality time at home and with those that are dearest and nearest

2. Reading - Long Walk to Freedom was the holiday read and highly highly recommendable for everyone living or visiting South Africa, it outlines the history so well. (I don't think it would hurt our current dispensation to go through it again as a reminder as to what it is all about)

3. Catching up on vitamin D 

4. Baking - lemon meringue pie (battling to get oemph into the meringue part, but I think I have it now using an Italiain meringue recipe). Reindeer ginger / mixed-spice biscuits were also tried and used for Christmas gift decorations. A couple of years back my sister helped me bake them (ok she baked the whole herd!) don't know how she did it; seven were my limit :)

5. Knitting - was quite proud to figure out a rabbit pattern (pom pom tail and all!) for my god-son. The first attempt was not that successful, after a guffaw and tears of laughter at my "octopus" (from said dearest and nearest) I realised I had to try again. Fortunately the second attempt was more successful. 

6. Puzzles - Jan Van Haasteren is my absolute favourite jigsaw artists. I was treated to the "Safari" one this year. The detail of these puzzles are amazing. 

7. Surfing - definitely catching a few waves, (unfortunately the surf is not that great at this time of year) - making one appreciate the good days so much more.

What are your favourite holiday activities?

No comments:

Post a Comment