Wednesday 22 May 2019

Leadership Magazine: Awesome AfriCAN! May 2019

Leadership Magazine May 2019 http://mags.capemedia.co.za/leadership/403/ it’s on page 66 & 67

I have just finished a Skype call with Joseph where he was sharing his screen with me and we were discussing a website he was working on. Skype, sharing of a screen, a computer, pretty basic right? For me, it was a moment of utter pride and a realisation that we are onto something wonderful with our Awesome AfriCAN initiative. You see, a year ago, Joseph Bernard who lives in Imizamo Yetho (IY) in Hout Bay, had no computer skills, ‘Word’ was something that formed part of a sentence and ‘Excel’ something you did at school and on the sports field.  
Investing in the community and being a responsible corporate citizen, is a key building block that we at Reputation Matters measure as part of our reputation research methodology. This is an area that has always been important for us especially in terms of the type of projects that we take on. But, with that said, I didn’t feel that we had our own Corporate Social Investment (CSI) program quite in place, we invested our own time in different areas, planted the odd tree for someone’s birthday, but it didn’t feel very strategic. It was important to me to find something that linked to our core business of research. I just did not know where to start. Our virtual office predominantly active in cyberspace, felt very far removed from my local community, I just was not too sure how to link the two together, but knew that there had to be a way.
Majority of the research projects that we do is done via online surveys; however, we are seeing an influx of corporates who want to engage with their bigger stakeholder groups that don’t necessarily have access to technology to complete an online questionnaire. In those instances, we go back to good old traditional paper based surveys. With one such a project, we had a significant amount of paper based forms that needed to be manually captured. I turned to the local running club that I belong to; one of the development runners had asked me for quite some time whether I had some work for him. I then saw this data capturing as an excellent opportunity to get him on board. Unfortunately it came to the fore that he had no computer skills, he indicated that he never had an opportunity to learn this skill and even though he had been to the library to try and teach himself he just did not know where to start. I then realised that computer literacy was where we had to start. Before we could involve the community with data capturing, we had to take a step back and empower them with computer skills. If one does not have access to computers or basic computer skills, you are cut off from so many opportunities, especially when it comes to writing and sending out a CV.
I’m a proponent to work with the community in which you live and work, so my focus has been Hout Bay. With the help of Mathias, the said runner, he helped me to find the most amazing computer facility next to IY and I met Life Manuwe, SETA accredited computer facilitator. It broke my heart to see this wonderful computer centre being underutilised due to the lack of local support.  Unfortunately the computer classes can’t be run for free, there are overheads and his facilitation fee that needs to be covered, it’s really unrealistic to ask community members to pay for a computer course if they are living hand to mouth. We worked together on a program and I helped Life to generate sponsorships for a pilot project; I will be forever grateful to these generous sponsors. I did not want to start a new foundation or Trust, there are far too many already in our Republic of Hout Bay, if I’m not mistaken at last count there were close to 97! So I am working closely with Rotary International to manage any sponsorships and funding that we receive, keeping things transparent is non-negotiable. In October last year, our first pilot project kicked off providing the group with free accredited computer classes. All 43 candidates that signed up completed the course. It was a proud moment when they received their certificates!
At the same time, I noticed an increase of amazing tradesmen looking for work at the traffic intersection, with their basic details neatly hand written on a piece of paper that they hand out to commuters in and out of Hout Bay, in the hope that they will get a lucky break. I felt so helpless seeing the numbers grow every day, and I just hoped to get a green light so that I didn’t have to stop and politely decline that piece of paper.
At that stage I was chatting to a friend in Australia, we had worked together on a project in the tech space in South Africa many moons ago and we had kept in touch. I was sharing my frustration with the situation and said that I would love to build an ‘Uber’ for tradesmen, if you for example need a plumber you can find someone local that can help you, once they have completed the project the person who hired them can leave them a rating and reference. Stephen (said friend), then told me about the amazing technology Moboom, he was involved with, and they could help me! Using Moboom’s platform, I started building an ‘at your service’ website (I have never built a website in my life, but this was so easy, I was rather chuffed with my efforts!). So the next time, I got close to the traffic light, I hoped and prayed that I would get a red light, and took every piece of paper I could lay my hands on and started populating the website with each person’s details. Where possible I asked them to send me photos. There is no commercial value to this site, any work is agreed between the person and the person offering the service; this is purely a marketing opportunity for the informal traders to give them a tiny step towards more job opportunities.
As my website building abilities improved conversations also progressed with Moboom, we started chatting how we could build cost effective websites that load fast and rank well on search engine sites such as Google. The beauty of the Moboom sites are that we can produce websites on scale, and even better, I can tap into the newly graduated community members from the computer classes, to build these sites using superior, proprietary technology to ultimately, create jobs and alleviate poverty in the community, by the community. When we don’t have research data to capture, they can capture an entrepreneur’s data into a template to create a website for them.
Sea Harvest Foundation and the West Coast Business Development Centre (WCDC) in Saldanha got to hear about the initiative, and we rolled out a pilot project there as well, their requirement was to train up 15 small businesses because part of the challenge that small businesses are faced with, is that they can’t access corporates and vice versa, because they don’t have computer skills, they send quotes via WhatsApp, which unfortunately automatically disqualifies them as they are not registered on the supplier data bases that often require a stack of paper work to be submitted electronically. An added incentive of attending the course was that each small business owner would receive their own website! These websites have been built by guys like Joseph that attended our pilot computer class last year. Ten people have already found permanent employment because of the additional skills that they have gained through the basic computer courses. 
I am really hoping to increase the number of computer classes this year and to expand it to other areas of the country. The big audacious goal is to expand this across the continent!
If companies would like to sponsor websites for entrepreneurs, they are not just supporting the entrepreneur and small business development, which has a direct impact on our economy, they are also creating a much needed job opportunity for someone in our townships. If anyone would like to get involved in the Awesome AfriCAN initiative, please do get in touch!
To find out how your reputation measures up and how to become a business that people want to do business with visit www.reputationmatters.co.za  email: research@reputationmatters.co.za or call +27 21 790 0208. Reputation Matters is also on Facebook www.facebook.com/yourreputationmatters and Twitter @ReputationIsKey.
###

No comments:

Post a Comment