Tuesday 12 February 2019

Made it to Nijmegen | YoastCon 2019 | 06 February 2019

Normally quite a boring and ignored procedure, British Airways has taken a new spin on the in flight security procedure, a fresh take on something quite banal. [For a giggle, take a look]: 

The flight from London to Amsterdam was choc ‘n block and people took their time to get to their seats; there was an announcement asking passengers to please rather take their bags with them to their seas as the overhead lockers were full.  I nestled into my window seat; my hand luggage on my lap, as it was just a bit too big to fit under the seat. Fueled on only a couple of hours’ sleep I nodded off as the last passengers dribbled on. An agitated air hostess woke me up rather abruptly, terribly annoyed that I had not put my bag under the seat. I explained to her that it didn’t fit and that I was following the announcer’s request of keeping my bag with me. She was hugely frustrated, so I passed my bag to her to make a plan with it. She then shoved my bag under the seat along the aisle seat just in front of me, and started kicking it in! I asked her to please not kick my bag, to which she snapped that she was just pushing it in with her foot! Seriously uncool British Airways!

Within an hour we were in Amsterdam and I made my way to the train station; got my ticket and directions to the platform number and was told that it was a direct route. Checked the signage and saw Nijmegen, got on and engrossed myself in my book for the next hour or so; I knew it was about an hour and a half journey, so didn’t really look at the train station stops. Then there was an announcement saying that we all had to disembark due to an accident on the tracks (from conversations on the platform, I heard that someone had apparently committed suicide!). I asked the security on the terminal what train I should take to get to Nijmegen, they looked a bit confused, was rather unhelpful so I went to find a ticket office. The lady was very confused, and said that I was on the wrong train! It was going in totally the wrong direction! [I realise what had happened, when I had looked at the signage earlier at Schipol on the platform, I saw Nijmegen at the bottom of the screen, assuming that it was the final destination of that particular train, not that that was the next train. Aaaanyway finally got onto the right train; a double decker one! [There is free wifi on the trains and most public places. Thank goodness, there is no longer a real need for international roaming; my MTN bill racked up in Dubai years ago, still sends me into a cold panic (R50 000!)].

I have no idea where I was travelling from, but I knew that I had to change trains at Utrecht, then all the way through to Nijmegen. I was meant to arrive in Nijmegen early on Wednesday morning, with the visa / wrong train debacle, I arrived in an already dark, wet Nijmegen at 19:00. 


I forgot how much I enjoyed the European winters, the crispiness in the air, and the wonderful warmth that envelopes you when you go inside buildings.

Boutique Hotel Straelman where I was booked in was about a kilometer away from the train station, I initially thought that I would walk, but after what felt like the longest journey ever, I hailed a cab. Got very excited when we drove past the venue, and I saw the YoastCon banner. 


The hotel is in an old house and beautiful, if anyone ever visits Nijmegen, I highly recommend this hotel.
Obviously not taken late at night, but it gives you an idea of the beautiful architecture; absolute joy of safely walking at night and super early in the morning.  

I won’t lie, I was quite ready for bed but an evening dinner had been organised, and I thought, jeepers, I didn’t traipse half way across the globe to sleep. The restaurant was about a block away from where I was staying. The other thing that I really like about Europe, is that I feel perfectly safe to walk alone at night…late at night.

It was my first interaction with the Yoast crowd; this is what I absolutely love about conferences, meeting new people, making new friends. Exciting times!

No comments:

Post a Comment