Monday 17 December 2018

Book: How we made it in Africa, Jaco Maritz


When I read the following paragraph in the preface, I knew that I was going to enjoy this book:

Nelly Tuikong, founder of Kenyan beauty brand Pauline Cosmetics, best captures the spirit of this book: "Business is sweet and sour. It is the most frustrating thing you will ever do. I tend to keep my emotions under control because it is how I was raised. So, when my husband sees me crying he knows things are really bad. There are times when I need to do just that - cry, binge on some TV shows, eat a whole tub of ice cream. But then I pull myself up again the next day. It is very frustrating, but it is one of the most incredible journeys you will ever take."

It is a great read, each entrepreneur's story is about five pages long, so it's an easy quick read. I really like that the entrepreneurs also share their challenges and struggles. Different entrepreneurs from different African countries are profiled, and it isn't the 'usual suspects', introducing new names and covering a wide variety of industries.

 It just makes me even more excited about working in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment