Thursday 14 September 2017

Book: Between the Devil and the Deep, A memoir of Acting and Reacting, Pieter-Dirk Uys


After the rather emotional book of Winnie Mandela’s life story, I opted for Pieter-Dirk Uys’ “Between the Devil and the Deep,” what I thought would a lighter read. To be honest, I only really know him as Evita Bezuidenhoudt. I had bought the book earlier this year when a group of us visited Darling to enjoy one of her shows at The Perron.  Compared to Winnie’s book, definitely not as heavy; however, not a light hearted or frivolous read either. It gave a poignant view from the ‘other side’, the white side, during the apartheid time and the pressures he was faced with being an activist and strongly speaking out, and acting against the government. He has a magical way of writing and describing things.  It’s a mixture of a biography and his different plays and personas. A very enjoyable read, I am keen to read his other books too.

No comments:

Post a Comment