Tuesday 6 June 2017

Book: How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie



This should be on everyone's reading list. If it is good enough for Warren Buffet, then we can all learn a thing or two from it. 

The information shared isn't really anything new, it is, however, a good reminder on how best to tackle different difficult situations. It also reminds you of the basics. What is quite interesting is that at the beginning of the book you are encouraged to read each chapter twice. Don't just read it from cover to cover, actually study each chapter and see how best to implement it. 

Even though the concepts are easy, it is less simple to implement it and I do think that I need to study each chapter again (this became apparent the other evening on the flight back home, when there was a very loud person a seat or two in front of me that did not stop talking, not even to take a breath throughout the entire two hour flight. I really felt sorry for the poor person seated next to him that had to feign interest). I was thinking to myself 'how would Mr Carnegie have tackled this situation?' and I really couldn't think of a compelling way that I could have addressed it and still 'made a friend'. My patience levels are also still much to be desired when I get sent from pillar to post when calling a call centre. Back to chapter 1 for me.    


No comments:

Post a Comment