Friday 27 March 2015

Book: The Snowball - Warren Buffet and the business of life, Alice Schroeder

When I decided to start reading this book in February, I was honestly quite daunted by it, and for a moment considered reading something else as I did not want to mess up my 'two-books-a-month' average. What a ridiculous reason not to read a book!

It's quite a read; a highly recommendable read. I particularly resonated with how highly Warren Buffet regards and protects his reputation. I had always been aware of, and heard his name as one of the richest men in the world, but never really knew that much about him and his business dealings. Although my knowledge and understanding of how investments and the stock market work is very limited, it was fascinating to get greater insight into this world.

What I found really interesting, was when I read Donald Trump's book, the emphasis was very much on thinking big, and buying the biggest and best. Whereas in this book, it is clear the Warren Buffet had a very different view, and considered very carefully how and where to spend every dollar.  Both practices clearly worked for these two successful businessmen; I recon it is about knowing exactly what it is that you want to achieve and having a very clear uncompromising vision of how you are going to get there.

As much as Warren Buffet enjoyed making money, he also enjoyed teaching. These are the lessons I take from the book:

  1. Reputations matter - one of my favourite quotes from the book: "Lose money for the firm, and I will be understanding. Lose a shred of reputation for the firm, and I will be ruthless."
  2. Be uncompromising when it comes to your values;
  3. Read biographies and learn lessons from people that most inspire you;
  4. Have passion for what you do;
  5. Give away your money to good causes. Initially Warren did not like the thought of parting with his money at all, but later in life he implemented incredible strategies to invest in philanthropic initiatives.  There is a great quote from Andrew Carnegie in the book that gets referred to, "He who dies rich, dies disgraced." and lastly,
  6. Live within your means, don't get into debt. 
Recommendable: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment