Friday 1 August 2014

Reading reading reading!

Slowly but surely I am heading towards my target of reading 20 books this year. Brad Sugars manages to read a book a week! I am not quite there (yet!). I did however, manage to read four books this month. I've never enjoyed reading quite as much as I do at the moment, it feels like I'm getting personal one-on-one time with great business leaders and experts in their prospective fields.

Book review: Think Big and Kick Ass - Donald Trump and Bill Zanker

If you are going to think or do something, you may as well do it big - the same energy goes into both! I love this way of thinking.

In "Think Big and Kick Ass" by Donald Trump and Bill Zanker, they touch on a number of ways to 'think big', nothing is really groundbreaking or new, but it re-affirms many of the things that the world's most successful business people have said and do.

It's about a mind shift change, and getting over the fear of thinking big, sounds silly (and easy) - but people are afraid of success for some or other reason.
What this book has reiterated for me, is the importance of investing in value - first class all the way!
The people you hang out with is important; many 'friends' don't want to see you succeed - this relates very much to a previous blog I wrote about 'Is friendship a farce?'.

I also really liked what the authors said about keeping the momentum going and not losing focus; so be careful not to become complacent - keep developing, moving and growing. 

Recommendation - 8/10

Book Review Little Voice Mastery - Blair Singer 

This book ties in quite closely to the previous one. Why is it that we sell ourselves short? This book makes sense of the little voice in our head that is the biggest culprit when it comes to doubting ourselves and our actions. We are our own worst enemy standing in the way of our success and owning it.

While reading this book I have found that I have started 'calling out' my little voice several times. It is now about changing a pattern of thinking and getting different voices to 'stream' in different scenarios. It's time to accept compliments, realise successes, to be confident and to reprogram the self-defeating thoughts. Watch out little voice - I'm on to you!
Recommendable - 8/10

Book review: Our Iceberg Is Melting - John Kotter | Holger Rathgeber


This is a fun little book describing the principles of change management within an organisation. It was an incredibly easy read; I read it within an hour or two one morning. The book takes the format of a fable, which is quite refreshing from other business books that can get quite laborious and long.  

Recommendable: 7/10





Book review - Tinus de Jongh - His life and works


This book has been such a breath of fresh air in between all the business books. I had one of  those 'stop and smell the roses' moments;  taking in and enjoying the beautiful colours and landscapes. It was wonderful to learn more about this wonderful Dutch artist, who made South Africa his home.  The story is written so poignantly; the history and life of the artist is incredibly interesting, I realised that I had forgotten how much I enjoyed art history (something that I had studied many many moons ago).
Thanks to Tinus de Jongh (Tinus de Jongh's grandson), who let me know about this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment