Sunday 30 March 2014

Fedup with Facebook

Facebook has been the cause of too many family feuds, fallout with friends and fuelling of egos.

I love the fact that Facebook is keeping me in contact with my friends that live abroad, it does close that gap significantly, and I am very grateful to Facebook for that. The daily motivational snippets from leaders that I ‘Like’ such as such Brad Sugars and Robin Sharma and healthy tips and count down to the TwoOceans marathon is also great. I do however question why some companies do decide to invest in social media without a total communication strategy supporting it, but that discussion is not what I have on my heart today.
What I find sad about general Facebook use is that it has taken away real genuine interaction with family and friends. If it was not for Facebook I would not have known about half the things that (supposedly ‘close’) family and friends were doing. Why is the platform used to make big (usually dramatic) announcements? What’s happened to a simple phone call to touch base or to share exciting news in person? (or at a very basic level text message). Even though we are becoming a lot more acquainted with people’s personal lives (every single detail), sadly we are losing the art of interpersonal relationships and I suppose basic etiquette.

I am definitely not guilt-free of the above! So, from here on, I am committing to be get back to basics and will be making a concerted effort to get back to making personal connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment