Sunday 30 March 2014

Book Review - Oprah by Kitty Kelly

On my mission to align myself with inspirational people, reading as many biographies of inspirational and influential people are part of achieving this goal, especially women who have made their mark on society. Oprah Winfrey was the first inspirational lady that came to mind. All I really knew about Oprah was her successful show and that she did a lot of social upliftment investment projects, so I was keen to learn more about the force and dynamism that is Oprah. When I recently saw that she had launched her OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) – I was intrigued to find out more about the driving force and everything that is Oprah. I am eager to learn more from someone that has despite challenges been able to catapult herself to such amazing heights. 

When I ordered Kitty Kelly’s “Oprah”,  my very first reaction when I started reading it was disappointment that it was the “unauthorised” biography. But I thought, let me give the book the benefit of the doubt, and not judge it before reading it. I also then rationalised that it would / could then provide an unbiased, unsentimental view of Oprah.  To a certain extend it did this, but there seems to be an underlying bitterness that comes through from the author – my sense is that Oprah did not want to endorse this for whatever reason, so the tone is very factual, but could be construed and as I read between the lines, as unpleasant. I also question the people that did give interviews – their loyalty and integrity is questionable.  I am not at all surprised that Oprah signs strict NDA and confidentiality agreements with everyone she engages with, she is protecting herself and her brand. It comes across that people are happy to tap into her generosity and ride on the Oprah name for their own gain, but quick to turn on her when things don’t go their way.
I admire Orpah, she has achieved a lot – she set her mind to being successful and did not let anything or anyone deter her from this goal. She gets a lot of criticism in this book, with a half-hearted attempt in the last chapter to recognise and acknowledge the strides and inroads that she has made globally –

Say what you want about Oprah, she has achieved A LOT.
Recommendable – no, it was like swimming through syrup – I will also be taking it off out of our team’s library

Rate – 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment