Friday 24 June 2022

The most beautiful car in the world...

If your outflow exceeds your income, your upkeep becomes your downfall ~ Jim Rohn

From a young age I loved ‘playing shop’ with my Granny, having endless fun with my Fisher Price cash register. I also remember the delight of getting a R2 note and the absolute thrill of when my Dad showed me how to deposit it into the Allied bank ATM. Finding ways to make extra pocket money was exciting; saving it seemed like the obvious thing to do. 

That was until I started my entrepreneurial journey. You don’t always have the extra pennies to squirrel away, especially when projects are thin, salaries need to be paid and your Vat is due.

I’ve made incredibly stupid financial decisions. I sometimes wonder where is that five-year-old me that was so savvy with her finances?

The biggest financial mistakes included:

  • Getting a business partner on board that borrowed money from day one;
  • Having an unaffordably large staff compliment; salaries still needed to be paid each month as well as a hefty PAYE bill regardless of the number of projects that we had. Invariably, I ended up paying salaries instead of my taxes, what a mess!
  • Organising conferences that were unprofitable left me dearly out of pocket.
  • When I did get my head above water, instead of being sensible, I did one of two very stupid things:

o Go on an expensive holiday or,

o Bought a new car, getting myself more and more into debt.

This is the financial advice I would give myself on 31 October 2005, the day before officially starting my own business:

  • Don’t lend anyone money; you’ll never see it again. During the lock down, I was asked by many people for loans and handouts. I reached out to my very good friend Margaret Hirsch to find out how she managed all the requests she gets; her very sage advice was:

o You are not a bank. 

o As they say on the airplane, put the oxygen mask on yourself first. You can’t help  anyone else, if you haven’t looked after yourself first. 

o When you lend someone money, you are eliminating them of their self-esteem and taking their dignity away. The more you grow your self-esteem, the more you grow your bank balance, when you lend someone money, you are actually doing them a disservice.

  • Credit cards: don't get lured in by their siren call, it's a trap!

o Don’t spend what you don’t have; putting things onto a credit card is not the answer!

o Get your credit card paid up as soon as possible.

  • Side hustles are super, start your side hustle sooner. Having different income streams are good.  
  • Have a ‘three pocket system’; when you get paid, divvy the money up into different pockets:
    1. Put a % away towards saving; don’t touch this pocket. Even if you only have R10 to put into it, 100 x ten Rands add up, and it is marvellous to see the interest grow on your savings;
    2. Put a % away towards a charity or Church.
    3. As soon as you get paid, put 15% of it away for SARS into a different account or bank pocket so that you are not tempted to use it. Then, when you are presented with your Vat bill at the end of every two months, you won’t be panic stricken of where to try and find the funds to pay for it or worse-case scenario, having to pay it with your credit card. 
    4. The rest you can spend. 

The important part is to put something towards saving. It is actually even better to have two saving pockets; one that goes towards a rainy-day fund and the other towards something specific, e.g. a holiday (so that you don’t pay for it with your credit card). The interest that you pay on a credit card is eye watering! The interest that you receive on savings, is just so much more magical than having to cough up for it in the black hole that you get drawn into so quickly with a credit card. 

  • SARS isn’t going to go away, and the amount due to them will rack up with interest and penalties. But, I have learnt that SARS does want to help you, it benefits them if you stay in business. If you have managed to get yourself into a pickle with outstanding debt, you can apply for a deferment and request to pay the amount off over a period of time. The important thing is to keep up to date with your current SARS payments while you pay off the amount due. 
  • By all means, take a break but keep it local; save up for a trip away instead of putting it onto your credit card. 
  • You don’t need that new car. I’ve bought beautiful, very impractical cars, which was, I’ll be the first to admit, very much ego driven! The other day when I took my car in for a service, I had a fleeting moment of thinking that it was perhaps time to trade in my car for a newer model.  When I started looking at the numbers and realising just how close I was to paying off my current set of wheels, I realised, that the most beautiful car in the world, is a paid off car! 

No comments:

Post a Comment