Thursday 28 October 2021

Book: Up the Organisation, Robert Townsend


Even though this book was published in 1970, there are many interesting and valuable tidbits of business advice. Robert Townsend was the chairperson and president of Avis-Rent-a-Car and grew it into one of the largest rental car companies. 

It's a fairly quick read. The three pieces of advice that I think of immediately when I think of his advice: 

1. Reporting: Sadly in 1970 the use of reports was already a useless exercise. Personally, I am also of the opinion that reports are way too often generated just for the sake of it.  Many hours goes into writing a report, just to never ever be looked at again. We see a lot more success with presenting our results in a format that is reused at board level to make decisions.  

2. Objectives: ..."I used to keep a sign opposite my desk where I couldn't miss it if I were on the telephone (about to make an appointment) or in a meeting in my office: "Is what I'm doing or about to do getting us closer to our objective?" That sign saved me from a lot of useless trips, lunch dates , conferences, junkets and meetings. 

3. Thanks ~ A really neglected form of compensation. 

Recommendable 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment