Tuesday 22 June 2021

Book review: The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz


This book has been on my reading list for ages! It’s quite a quick read, but incredibly insightful and highly recommendable. I made a copious amount of notes, and realised that if I copied it here, I would basically just be regurgitating the book! There are just so many valuable insights. The agreements are incredibly easy to understand, but less easy to implement. Be impeccable with your word; don’t take things personally; don’t make assumptions; always do your best.

We’re our own worst enemy, we need to forgive and make peace with ourselves.  Our issues with others are a reflection of the issues we have with ourself. We strive for our version of perfection to be accepted by others, and then reject those that don’t live up to our expectations because we can’t accept those flaws in ourselves. It’s tiring!

We pretend what we are not, because we are afraid of being rejected. The fear of being rejected becomes the fear of not being good enough. Eventually we become someone that we are not.

Be impeccable with your word.  I am striving to be a lot more mindful of what I say. Don't take things personally,  this one for me, is a lot easier said than done and I still need a bit of work in this department. Don't make assumptions: so many conflict situations can be avoided through clearer communication and asking more questions. Always do your best.  This reminded me of my Dad that always said that you need to do something right the first time then you won’t need to redo it. This in turn made me think of a quote I saw the other day, ‘if you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”

Although it is a quick read, it’s one of those books that you need to read a few times, and each time will teach you something new. 


No comments:

Post a Comment