Tuesday 23 March 2021

Book: The Smell of Apples, Mark Behr


Initially when I started reading this book, I thought it was a similar ‘vibe’ to ‘Spud’. But the first publication was in 1993, much earlier than the first Spud book. The reason I thought this, was because the story is narrated from the viewpoint of a twelve year old boy.

Initially, during the first half of the book I thought it’s ‘meh’, it’s ok, and perhaps unnecessary how zoomed into his own genitalia he was. I also found it a bit curious that the book had won several awards. But, it does all tie together rather disturbingly at the end.

Positives, what I did like, the majority of the book plays off in Cape Town, specifically Kalk Bay, St James and Simon’s Town area. Love being able and visualise areas that an author describes in his books, that I know and am familiar with.

Whether I would recommend it, I’m not too sure that I would. The way in which it is written makes it easy to read. It’s a sad, poignant view of the 60’s / 70’s through the eyes of a white twelve year old boy growing up in South Africa at that time, interspersed with his experience in the Angola war.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment