Wednesday 6 April 2016

Book: Of warriors, lovers and prophets – unusual stories from South Africa’s past – Max du Preez


  
My history knowledge of South Africa is embarrassingly limited. The other day in conversation I couldn’t remember whether it was Bartholomeo Diaz or Jan van Riebeeck who first arrived in South Africa (it was Diaz, 1488; Van Riebeeck arrived in 1652).
This is a fascinating book that takes a look at the colourful history of South Africa. Max du Preez has a wonderful way of telling a story and bringing characters to life. It was absolutely fascinating to learn more about Coree, the first South African that went abroad; the cannibals; Shaka’s sad childhood; the cover up of small pox in the Kimberly area, the rift between the De Wet brothers, Ghandi, Siener van Rensburg and very interesting the Black Jews in Africa.

As du Preez describes it: All these people were influenced by and reacted to their surroundings and prevailing attitudes at the time, and in turn influenced events and attitudes that affected those who came after them.  
These people, oppressors and oppressed, heroes and villains, are all my ancestors. My DNA doesn’t have to be scientifically linked to specific individuals in order for me to regard them as my ancestors…
…So I regard all those South Africans who came before me and sharped my society as my ancestors

Our history is a patchwork of intrigue; we truly have been through a lot; and have much to be proud of what we have achieved and what we have overcome. I love South Africa and in the words of the beautiful speech by Thabo Mbeki on 08 May 1996; I am an African.

No comments:

Post a Comment