Tuesday 13 November 2018

Book: Around Africa On My Bicycle, Riaan Manser


After the last couple of wobbles with books that I just did not get into or enjoyed, I absolutely LOVED finding Riaan Manser's first epic adventure. The first time I really noticed the adventures of Riaan, was when I heard that he and his girlfriend Vasti rowed to New York. Vasti had said that she wanted to go to New York, so being an adventurer, he got her there in his own way; the two of them rowed there! 

Around Africa On My Bicycle is an absolutely marvellous book; with Africa becoming a much greater priority and focus for us, it was thrilling to read about his experiences in each of the 33 countries he rode through. Something that I totally respect is that he didn't take any shortcuts, if he had to go into a town with a vehicle to get a visa or fix a tyre, he would then trek back to the point where he had stopped cycling and start the day's cycle from that last point. He was also not deterred about entering hostile regions to achieve his goal of circumnavigating Africa on his bicycle. 

I also have great respect for the fact that he did not pay one bribe, this often meant massive detours and delays on his trip, but he was not going to be compromised. I am in total awe of his integrity and tenacity. 

I have now laid my hands on his next book, Around Madagascar on my Kayak and looking forward to enjoying his next epic adventure!

Africa is awesome!


Paulo Coelho says "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it", and it is clear that epic adventures are what Riaan is meant to be doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment